Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Near Miss and Zoning Questions

I now have my first failed property hunt. 7655 Bradley Road, Somis, was one of the results of my field trip. From Bradley, all that is visible is a bare hill, with a water tank and a pepper tree at the top. A plywood sign states that it is 32 acres of “open land” for sale by the owner. This open land, it turns out, consists of two trailer pads, complete with trailers, and not much else. This is visible up the tiny, easily missed Dusty Lane. Fences divide up the area and the avocado orchard that is nearby is not actually a part of this land. The owner states that it is zoned to be a nursery. The gently rolling hills would be perfect for horses, however. And, as you may be able to tell from my posting on Somis, I have a soft spot for the area. I think it is charming, quiet, and beautiful.

So what, you may ask, is the failure? It is already in escrow.

I contacted the owner to get more information on this eccentric property and found out that there was already a buyer. I am glad to hear that property is selling in the current market, but I was also disappointed to have come late to the party. The property was odd to look at, but 32 acres are nothing to sneeze at. Given the location and its appearance, I had high, perhaps silly, hopes that the price would be low. I was somewhat disappointed to learn that he is asking $2 million. With 32 acres, that breaks down to $62,500 per acre. This is the best going price of my discoveries so far, but there was so little there. All of the structures would have to be put into place, the price of getting “open” (read: barely developed) land. Perhaps my expectations are too high.

However, there is a ray of hope for anyone interested in this property. The owner is not certain that escrow will close, or hinted at as much, and recommends contacting him after Nov. 29 to verify that it has closed. If anyone is interested in following up on this property, please contact me through the blog. The only method for contacting the owner is a phone number and, out of respect for his privacy, I do not wish to post it openly here. However, I would be glad to give it out on request.

This property brought up an important issue for me. The owner specifically mentioned the permits for the trailers and the zoning for a “nursery” (not an actual zoning category, but within agriculture). I for one know little about zoning laws, but it is a critical consideration for any property or horse owner. Keeping horses is not just a matter of your own finances or the neighbors’ good will. Zoning laws restrict where and what you can build, as well as the kind and number of animals and plants you can commercially maintain. Information on the internet as to laws of specific areas is surprisingly sparse, but these are my offerings: http://real-estate-law.freeadvice.com/zoning/ and http://www.realestatelawyers.com/Zoning-Permits.cfm. When looking at properties, ask the owner or agent about zoning for the area. If they cannot answer to your satisfaction, contact a real estate lawyer. We must inform ourselves about the rights and restrictions of our line of work.

No comments: